2012年4月3日 星期二

"REST API Design Rulebook" by Mark Masse; O'Reilly Media


I am not a web application developer so this book is not really a reference book to me. The reason why I read this book is because the use of REST API is getting ubiquitous, no matter it is on web application areas or even system administration areas. So, I would like to check out what REST API is and more importantly, its best practise. This book does give me a lot of insight into REST API and it is so well-written and easy to understand for REST newbie like me.

The books contain 7 chapters, approximately 90 pages something, which is not a heavy book. I read it during commute and eventually it took me like 3 or 4 days to finish. For the meat of the book, I will say they are on chapter 2 to 6 which is totally 5 chapters there. They covers lots of things that would easily be ignored like the best practice to design URL of API, how does the interaction between REST and HTTP, how can one handle the resources reprenstation in a better way .... etc. All these are pretty insightful  but easily ignored. Apart from these, I do really love the arrangement of the paragraph and reference materials, they are well organized and easily accessible. Overall this book is really good for those who have some computing background and really want to know more about REST API.

沒有留言:

張貼留言